HOME::Career & Employment
Top 7 Strategies for a Successfull Telephone Interview
By Neelima Bhatia
[ Print | Email This | Bookmark ]
In the course of job search, if your Resume is shortlisted, Telephonic interview is usually the next logical step for any short listed candidate. A candidate might need to go through a couple of rounds of telephonic interview before being invited for a personal interview. Telephonic interviews allow the recruiter to judge the technical knowledge and communication skills of the candidate without incurring heavy expenses, which are involved in personal interviews. Guidelines which could be helpful for the candidates during telephonic interview, are provided below:
- Ensure that you are not involved in anything else at the time of giving interview and that there are no background noises to disturb the interview process.
- Sit with a copy of your resume that you sent to the company -- for reference. It goes without saying that if you are sending different versions of your CV to different companies, then keep proper records.
- In case you need to change the the interview time, donít reschedule the interview multiple times.Do it only once if unavoidable. Be thorough with your subject. It leaves a very bad impression to say that you could not prepare for the interview and would like to reschedule because of this.
Ensure that you have all details of all your earlier projects with you. Its not good to say ĎSorry, I canít recollect what I did on that project.
- Try to respond to questions within 60 seconds. You don't want to be monosyllabic, but lengthy responses will make the employer lose interest and you might lose your own focus.
- Be prepared to discuss how what you've done in the past will affect how you'll perform in your future position. Give examples that show your value to the company and job.
- Prepare yourself by understanding the business of the company you are applying in, what skill set they are looking for, what do you want to achieve, what you are looking for from the company.
- Donít take help of anyone during the interview. it is easy enough to overhear.
Thank the interviewer for his valuable time and considering you for the opening.
Neelima Bhatia is managing the job and career resources portal http://www.jobtocareer.com. She can be reached at
Article Submitted On: August 01, 2007