Top 7 Reasons Why You Should Be Scared About Your Business Data Right Now
By Christopher M. Knight
[ Print | Email This | Bookmark ]
- When was the last time you backed up the data on your PC or network? How much will you lose financially if your data is lost?
- When a electromechanical hard drive (the kind you have right now) fails, are you aware of how much it costs to send it to a clean room where they can recover your failed hard drive? (Answer: up to $2800-$5000)..................you don't want to know why I know this.
- 80% of all tape backs fail. Are you sure you are actually backing up your data? How do you know? When is the last time you checked to see what was on your backup tape? Go check. Based on the size of this list, at least 3 of you should be very worried.
- AVOID this stupid mistake: After you back your data up on tape or whatever you use, TAKE the data OFF premise every day. What good is a backup of your data on a tape that just melted in your fire?
- Get E&O Insurance. This will save your butt if your employees or yourself screws up your clients data and doesn't have a backup. It's expensive, but if you handle your clients data, get it.
- 90% of corporate america is naked, when it comes to protecting sensitive data. Make sure your sensitive data (customer records, accounting, financial, etc) is protected, and you invest in the time to secure who on your staff is "trusted" with it.
- Andy Grove, of Intel, said this: "Only The Paranoid Survive" He is right. :-) See his book recommended below....
Article Submitted On: June 12, 1998