Top 7 Ways To Evaluate & Improve Your Public Speaking Skills
By Christopher M. Knight
[ Print |
Email This |
- Video tape yourself. Play back your tape. There is no faster way to improve your delivery, than getting a chance to see what others see, when they see you on stage.
- Sleep Meter: Is your audience alive and interactive with you or asleep at the wheel and about to fall off their chair snoozing?
- Practice delivery in front of a mirror. When starting out, you can not afford to do this critical step, which can immediately improve your delivery by 50%.
- Before you go on stage, pump yourself up. Tell yourself positive self talk. Imagine in your mind how folks will be receiving you and what you want them to say at the end of your speaking.
- Prepare, Prepare, Prepare or be in despair. Every great speech, talk, lecture, talk, or speaking engagement, is ALWAYS backed by a well prepared author or speaker who knows his/her topic backhand and in their sleep, including hundreds of outside perspectives on his or her core topic of expertise.
- Know your speaking environment. The greatest speaker in the world with a poor sound system may lose much of their impact. Make sure your sound, props, lighting is comfortable, pleasing and convenient for your audience to enjoy you and your topic.
- Some Speaking Behavior Success Tips: Make eye contact. Your body language should be free and purposeful. Your clothes should be pressed and at least 15% better than your audience is dressed. Make sure you are well groomed, and look sharp. Always arrive early as you never want to deliver a speech under pressure. Most of all, have fun with it. Enjoy your speaking, and use it to further advance your personal interests while helping others with the expertise you have developed.
Article Submitted On: September 25, 1998