Top 7 Ways To Advance Your Career Fast!
By Christopher M. Knight
[ Print |
Email This |
- Become Certified in ANYTHING that is valued by employers in your industry. Ohhhh, yeah, every ones college educated, but show me someone who has a certification in something important to a particular industry, and I'll show you someone who is getting more money than just a college grad.
- Ask for more responsibility, and then prove that you deserve it and can handle it. It's been my experience that less than 5-10% of all employees ask for more responsibility, so this should be easy to differentiate or separate yourself from the crowd.
- Take the responsibility of your skill training as YOUR responsibility first. Invest in yourself before you expect anyone else to, and you will be rewarded.
- Decide how high you want to fly and where you want to take your position up front. Too many folks are just doing a job, with no set destination, and then they wonder why they didn't end up in a better destination. Take control and decide now.
- Raise your standards. Press your clothes. Wear clothes that are 15% better or cleaner or sharper than everyone else in your office. Many times you are judged by your cover and respect and trust come with looking your very best. Human checkup: Smell good, look good, feel good, be good, are good.
- Put in the hours. Sorry, there IS NO shortcut for hard work. You must put in the hours to master your craft. Don't worry about getting noticed as it will be hard to miss this, and eventually you will get credit.
- Don't expect to be praised before you will give more of yourself. If the amount of money you earn is in direct proportion to the amount of value you create, then you must find a way to deliver more value for more people, in the shortest period of time. That's my formula for personal wealth, but you didn't see anything in there about any selfish needs for your ego, did you? nope... :)
Additional Top7Business Articles from the Success-Tips Category:
Article Submitted On: April 02, 1999