Digital printing is the most exciting thing that's happened to the printing industry in 30 years. But nobody knows it.
Exaggeration? A little...but not a lot.
If you haven't heard, digital printing lets you print very small quantities and have them delivered fast-fast-fast. Unlike offset printing presses, which traditionally use plates made from film, the new digital presses take your digital files and print from them. There's no film involved at all.
Business owners can benefit by using this new printing technology in many ways -- if only they knew about it!
Here are just seven reasons why, in printing, you should "go digital:"
- You can print as little as a quantity of one. Seriously, your print runs can be low, even for full-color printing, and the costs won't make you blanch. With traditional offset printing, consumers tend to print far more than they'll ever need. Yet many people waste 30 percent of what they print.
- You can print a small quantity of your corporate brochures in time for that important trade show NEXT WEEK. No kidding. Lead times are much shorter with digital printing. Or, you can get new business cards for that last-minute business trip IN DAYS.
- You can print different versions of your piece, like a brochure or a newsletter, for different markets and test out their effectiveness before you settle on one look.
- You can PERSONALIZE your postcards or brochures or whatever by taking advantage of the latest cool "subset" of digital printing, called variable data printing. It lets you practice "one-to-one marketing," because EVERY PIECE HAS DIFFERENT CONTENT. It marries a database (yours) with the design template. And every printed piece has different information to help make it more personal, more attractive, and more effective. Plus, you get higher response rates with VDP.
- Each of your salespeople or executives can have his or her own version of sell sheets or other printed materials, tailored specifically for his/her own clients or prospects.
- You can CHANGE THE CONTENT more often with digital printing, keeping your material current and accurate. So print 2000 brochures every quarter and update the copy, instead of printing 8000 brochures per year and living with outdated and incorrect information.
- You can KISS ALL OF THOSE UNUSED PRINTED PIECES GOODBYE! With digital printing, you can reduce or even eliminate waste by only printing what you need. How novel is that?
Digital printing may not serve all of your printing needs, but it sure comes in handy for small runs and quick turnaround jobs. Does every commercial printer do digital? No. But more and more of them are offering it. Ask your printer about it. You will be amazed at the benefit it offers.
Margie Gallo Dana is president of Dana Consulting in Chestnut Hill, MA. Her firm helps printers market themselves better to customers and helps business people make smart decisions about printing. Margie sends out a free PRINT TIP OF THE WEEK via email. To subscribe, email her at email@example.com. Visit her new web site at www.printconsulting.com. Or she can be reached at (617) 730-5951. A public speaker and an author, Margie's mission is to break down the barriers between consumers and the printing industry.