Top 7 PR Mistakes
By Christine Louise Hohlbaum
[ Print |
Email This |
Publicity is one compelling way to get you and your business into the news. It is not hard to do, if you follow a few simple guidelines. Unfortunately, many business fail to get ink because they commit these mistakes.
- Blast emails to 1500 editors with a generic message in hopes of getting a media hit. This approach overwhelms the person's inbox and guarantees you'll hit the black list. Send personalized emails to a select group of people for the best results.
- Write a press release about your business without a newsworthy component. Media professionals receive thousands of releases per week. If you're going to take their time, make it worthwhile with a fresh angle or news-related theme.
- Call to make certain the person received your press release. This will assure they never take your calls again. If they're interested, they will call YOU.
- Don't perform due diligence. If you send a media kit about your shoe factory to a garden center, you've just wasted precious resources. Do research before purchasing or renting a mailing list to be certain your information gets in the right hands.
- Fail to list a subject in your e-mail. Media professionals receive hundreds of e-mails per day. Make yours stand out with an informative yet concise message heading.
- Don't thank those who help you. Whether you had a two-page spread in the New York Times or a brief mention in your local paper, handwrite a note to the journalist who took the time to write about you.
- Give up. Public relations develops over time. It is a marathon, not a sprint. The worst thing you can do is forget about trying altogether. No ink was ever spilled over people who lurk in the shadows.
Christine Louise Hohlbaum, a.k.a. the PR Diva Queen, offers PR consultations to authors and small businesses. Subscribe to her
Authors Companion PR Postcard at http://www.authorscompanion.com for snappy marketing tips and a fr~e report How to Obtain Book Reviews.
Article Submitted On: February 14, 2006