Top 7 Free Promotion Methods That Work
By Judy Wogoman
[ Print |
Email This |
Are you tired of chasing after free classified sites and deleting FFA confirmations and safelist postings by the hundreds? Maybe it's time to adopt a new strategy. Quality instead of quantity. Of course, these free promotion methods require a little more work than an "FFA Blaster." But -- trust me here, folks -- the results are worth it! Free promotion CAN work. Here are seven winners:
- Direct mail -- WHAT???? Isn't that a no-no online? Yes and no. Direct mail to strangers -- (SPAM) -- BIG NO-NO. But direct mail to a small group of people you already "know" is usually acceptable. I've sent mailings to publishers of ezines I subscribe to, people who've downloaded free articles from my site, and other "contacts." NOTE: make the mailing relevant to the contact. Work at building RELATIONSHIPS.
- Publish your own ezine. NOT a five-minute clone-zine that consists of three pages of affiliate links, an article that has appeared in 10 other zines this week, and fifty classified ads.
- Write articles for other ezines. Puh-leeeze, not another "there are three types of businesses -- sole proprietorship, partnership, and corporation" articles. What have you learned in your chosen niche? What are you willing to share?
- Referrals. If you know that contact A and contact B would benefit from an introduction, provide it. No strings attached. They will remember. (Once again, focus on building PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIPS online. Think of them as money in the bank).
- Too busy or too overwhelmed to write an article? Put together a tip-list. Start with the title ___Ways YOU can ___________ or something similar.
- Create giveaways. Are you good at creating forms, templates, or even software add-ons? Offer them to Webmasters as freebies for visitors or subscribers -- with appropriate acknowledgement of the source, of course (you).
- Sig files. This oldie-but-goodie can act as your silent salesman every time you post a question or answer to a message board. Think you can't build a following with a short little blurb at the end of an email? Next time you get a message from a Hotmail member, look at the bottom. That single line was responsible for Hotmail's phenomenal growth. Don't tell me a sig file isn't big enough.
There's one more free promotion idea that's worth mentioning--Free E-books. If you have the time and inclination to do it right, E-books represent a tremendous opportunity for free promotion.
NOTE: "Doing it right" does NOT mean cutting-and pasting a dozen free articles with a hundred affiliate links. Yes, I know, some "gurus" are promoting that method...mostly the ones who sell overpriced CDs of "free" articles to cut-and-paste.
There's one thing the best free promotions have in common. The EXCHANGE of benefits. The theory of win win. I give you quality content, you give me credit. In the process of communicating, I casually let you know what I do and where to find out more. I'm not screaming HEY, YOU! BUY MY PRODUCT BECAUSE I WANT TO MAKE SIX FIGURES ONLINE. I'm saying, Hey, friend, I'm here to help YOU make six figures online. Interested? ( If you let me help YOU make money, my profits will take care of themselves.) And what I just told you is the most powerful "secret" of free promotion. Feel free to use it.
© 2000 by Judy Wogoman, Publisher, NetNuggetz Newsletter--
25 FREE Biz Resources in every issue, original articles, exclusive subscriber freebies. To subscribe, email@example.com?subject=subscribe Fast, free content at [http://sites.netscape.net/bizansrfindr] (feel free to reprint article in entirety-including resource box --notification appreciated)
Additional Top7Business Articles from the Marketing Category:
Article Submitted On: July 24, 2000