HOME::Self-Help / Self-Improvement
Top 7 Don'ts for Successful Improvisation
By Edward Weiss
[ Print |
Email This |
- Don't try and make something happen. Trying blocks the creative flow and will result in blocks.
- Don't expect to create something good. Expectations will always come with judgements and, consequently, you'll end up feeling let down.
- Don't worry about what is "coming out." Improvisation is about play and freedom to explore. Abandon unrealistic expectations and experience the joy of improvisation.
- Don't try and please others. The first person you must please is yourself. This may seem obvious but don't underestimate the strong need to please - ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO THE ARTS!
- Don't try and accumulate a "lot of knowledge." All it takes to improvise is a few chords and the proper attitude.
- Don't think. Improvisation is about FEELING. It's about being in the moment and experiencing the moment through the music. Thinking will take you away from your intuition, which will guide you if you listen to it. Intuition will lead you places thinking never could!
- Don't quit. Practice is what makes intuition stronger. The more you practice or play, the stronger your intuition will grow and the more you will trust it. Your unique voice will emerge and will grow stronger each time you sit down to play.
Edward Weiss is a pianist/composer and webmaster of Quiescence Music's online piano lessons. He has been helping students learn how to play piano in the New Age style for over 14 years and works with students in private, in groups, and now over the internet. Stop by now at http://www.quiescencemusic.com/piano_lessons.html for a FREE piano lesson!
Additional Top7Business Articles from the Self-Help Category:
Article Submitted On: March 08, 2006